Minutes - March 5, 2012
Stephanie Skalicky, Colette Stadin, Diana King, Laurie Schmidt, Jessie Clennon, Kathie Roy, Mary Burmeister, Maria Lourey-Bowen, and Stephanie Hunt.
- Author visit update: Mary Casanova will visit East Central Elementary April 16.
- Book Fair update by Schmidt: Made $1,574.66. Also, library earned around $500 or $600 in Scholastic dollars. This being the second fair of the school year 10% was earned in Scholastic dollars, vs. 5% at first fair. Thanks to volunteers and special thanks to Jessie Clennon for organizing book fair information in binder (which is now in library with Schmidt) and volunteering her time at the fair. Also, some School Improvement Grant money was spent at book fair for high school. When federal money is used, Scholastic donates money to charities.
- Science museum presentation update: PTO should receive bill for presentations shortly.
- Making PTO K-12 update: No new information.
- February 6 minutes approved, however, purchase of AR plaque ($35 approved) was discussed. Rather than one plaque, PTO voted to purchase 6 plaques, one for each grade’s breakout area, bringing total cost to $210 ($35x6). Motion by Lourey-Bowen, second by Clennon. All in favor.
- Treasurer’s report: No report as treasurer Jansen was absent from meeting.
- PTO carnival update: King created letter for businesses requesting donations/volunteers. If donating, checks can be made out to PTO. Proceeds of carnival to go toward school supplies and field trip fees. Next committee meeting Monday, March 12 at 3:30 p.m. in Skalicky’s room.
- “Fire family” update: family had fire in home. Motion by Skalicky, second by Stadin to purchase $25 Chris’ Food Center gift certificate for family. Lourey-Bowen to pick up certificate.
- Field trip budget. PTO budgeted $800 for field trips; however, with the district denying field trip requests, none of the budgeted amount has been used. The district no longer covers transportation costs. Some grants have been awarded to cover transportation costs. Issue was tabled, however, after meeting, PTO voted via email on how to use the budgeted amount. Motion by Lourey-Bowen to take $800 budgeted for field trips, divide it by 403 students = $1.98 per student. To figure total for each grade, multiply $1.98 by number of students in each grade (students in Klocke’s mixed third/fourth classroom will be counted with fourth grade). If any funds are not used, they will go back into the general budget. Second by Stadin. Yes votes received via email from Lourey-Bowen, Stadin, Diggan, King, Skalicky, and Clennon.
- Lyceums. A possible lyceum would be the Kid Power with Rachael, in May with cost of $775 (includes three shows and mileage and hotel). Funds would come from district PTO fund. Visit www.kidpowerwithrachael for more.
- Fundraising update: Clennon has 5,990 and will collect and send more shortly. Diggan is having a hard time accessing the Coke rewards account, as it was previously set up using personal information. Stadin will send PTO’s fundraising flyer to Kati Eberhardt to be put in the school newsletter. Clennon to make letter to be printed on reverse of fundraising form to be sent home with students.
- Box Tops, earned $1,383.20 this year (2011-12)
- Milk caps, earned $261.54 this year
- Campbell’s soup labels, earned about 6,000 points this year.
- Kindergarten Roundup is scheduled for April 27. Lourey-Bowen to talk to parents representing PTO.