October 4, 2010
Present: Wendy Ecklund, Colette Stadin, Bill Jansen, Martha Diggan, Dianne Anderson, Kathie Roy, Mary Burmeister, Michelle Kenyon, Maria Lourey-Bowen
Added to agenda: m. under new business, request from Martha Diggan for $70 for literacy curriculum; No. 6 under new business, Book Fair; No. 7 under new business, New Ideas: Behavior Support.
September 13, 2010, meeting minutes approved.
- updated school supplies cost $2,910.96.
- $43 received in cookbook sales
2009-10 AR (Accelerated Reader) expenses: $383.99 for two movie showings at Grand Cinema and Renaissance Learning (rewards).
As showing are paid for, PTO will no longer give $50 thank you to theater. Will coordinate a different form of PR – poster incorporating kids’ names, newspaper article, etc. Motion by Ecklund to budget $400 with PR thank you, motion carried. PR thank you to be coordinated by Maria Lourey-Bowen, Colette Stadin, and Dianne Anderson.
Artist in Residency Grant status unknown. PTO will continue to budget $500 commitment.
- Discussion on hanging of 2009-10 5th grade mosaics (project headed by local artist Marguerite Walz). Projects are currently in the shop room waiting to be framed. Bill Jansen to follow up with Superintendent Tamara Schultz regarding hanging of mosaics – preferably before conferences.
Author visit amount to budget tabled until next meeting. Would like to work explore options with ERCL and Willow River School.
Report on Tyson/Capri Sun programs tabled until next meeting due to absence of Jessie Clennon who is looking into the programs.
24 cookbooks brought in by Wendy Ecklund. Maria Lourey-Bowen to bring in remaining cookbooks. Cookbooks to be sold at Chris’ Food Stand fundraiser Oct. 15-16. Will sell for $10 each.
Jessie Clennon has tentative volunteer schedule and list of those bringing baked goods for Chris’ Food Stand fundraiser. Bill Jansen will get needed start-up cash morning of sale.
Bill Jansen volunteered to check /respond to PTO emails.
Wendy Ecklund received thank yous from Title I kids for Diary of a Wimpy Kid books and from a student for school supplies.
Pacer Center program discussed. Program is a puppet show on disabilities and bullying.
Budget went through as “wish list” with treasurer to report back with “reality check.”
- Grand Cinema appreciation: NO
- AR Rewards/Ribbons: YES, $400
- Artist in Residency Supplies: $500
- Author Visits: YES, amount tabled
- BOGO/Title I event: NO
- Conference Meals: YES, Maria Lourey-Bowen in charge, $300
- Field Trips: YES, $1,800
- Holiday Gifts: YES, $500 ($1 books for grades K-5)
- Homecoming Pep Fest: NO
- Lyceums:YES, $2,000
- Mile Run Food: NO
- Non-Certified Appreciation Gifts: NO
- Reading is Fundamental (RIF): YES, $600
- Track and Field Day: NO
- Snow Week Activities: NO
- Spelling Bee Prizes: YES, $100
- Teacher Appreciation: NO
- Diggan request for $70 for individual CD players: looking into other options at this time, such as checking the Campbell’s catalog for items
* Added school supplies to budget, $3,000
Update from Wendy Ecklund on EIN# status and future IRS concerns:
PTO is out of compliance with IRS. Need to apply for recognition of tax exempt status & do yearly filing with IRS. Need to seek help from volunteer accountant or become a member of a PTA (such as Minnesota PTA). Maria Lourey-Bowen looking into 501C3. Bill Jansen to speak with Mary Jo Jensen, accountant. Kathie Roy to speak with Rich Borchardt. Wendy Ecklund to talk to Superintendent regarding partnership with school.
Book Fair update from Dianne Anderson. Can be open Nov. 5-19, however it does not need to be open every day. Will be available to families during evenings of conferences, Nov. 9 and 11. Michelle Kenyon in charge of calling for volunteers.
Idea of Positive Behavior Support Program brought up by Michelle Kenyon. Rewarding positive behavior would be focus of program – caught being good, promote school spirit etc. Kenyon to talk to Dean of Students Stef Youngberg to see if there is an interest. Ecklund to talk to superintendent Tamara Schultz for support of program.